Thursday, July 14, 2016

There's no Participation Trophy in car sales!

One thing I think has hurt the way our children act and the way many people act is because of their sense of entitlement. What I mean by that is that many people, including kids, have developed the sense that they deserve to get something they didn't earn. It happens everyday in this country and it's only getting worse. Also, when we are talking about kids, giving them a trophy for participating in a sport or something like that doesn't really help them want to do better and practice harder. If they already know that they are going to get a "prize" at the end then what is the point of them even trying or developing skills that can carry them further in the real world. Now, granted, I am not talking about everyone or every situation but you get the point.

Now, I need to tie that into the car business for a minute (you probably knew I would)! In this line of sales, and many other sales positions, you don't get paid unless you make a sale! That's where I am going with this and that is that in many sales positions you don't get a Participation Trophy just for "trying". It is very discouraging sometimes but that's part of the sales industry. I know, you might say, "well, if you don't like it then change jobs". In which I would reply, "It's easier said than done". Number 1, and foremost, sales jobs pay, on average, more than most other jobs, unless of course you have some type of fancy degree and even then you might be in some type of sales position. Number 2, depending on the area you live in there may be a scarcity of jobs that will pay you what you need to make or think you deserve. So, running out and finding another job is really out of the question unless some great opportunity just falls in your lap. Besides, I actually like what I do though I do have bad days, weeks and months from time to time.

Now, having said all that, I would like to make a point that is of vital importance to me and many others in this position. That is the fact that if you know someone or are friends or acquaintances of someone in the sales business please do your best to give them your business because, as I said, we don't get a Participation Trophy at the end of the day. Every time I see someone I know come into the dealership and someone else is selling them I get a little aggravated especially when they know I work here.(It's hard not to know where I work with the amount of stuff I have online) Yea, I know, not everyone that you know wants to deal with someone they know and I get that but you must understand the way I take it. I look at it as you are taking money straight from my pocket and handing it directly to someone else kind of like how you pay out taxes. And usually it doesn't affect anyone but one person and that's the one that didn't get the sale. I'm not saying that I "deserve" everyone's business but I'd at least like the opportunity. Listen, if you work for an hourly wage or if you even have a salary or retirement coming in then you may not get what I am saying and I get that but don't take those in the sales profession for granted. Yea, I know, many are not honest and like to deceive people but that's not all of us. It really helps that if you are use to dealing with someone or have bought from someone in particular in the past that you try to get up with them first. There is a big turn over in the this business but it doesn't hurt to ask if "so and so" still works here.

So, in closing, I'd like to reiterate the fact that there isn't a Participation Trophy in the sales industry. Yea, there may be some great opportunities that may come about through sales but the fact of the matter is that we don't get paid unless we sell. So, do me a favor, if you know someone in the sales industry do your best to do business with them. A familiar face is always easier to deal with than someone you don't know.

Thanks for reading!

Fist Pump Guy out!

#thefistpumpguy #noparticipationtrophieshere

No comments:

Post a Comment